REGULATIONS OF SCHOLARSHIPS AND BENEFITS OF VILNIAUS KOLEGIJA/ UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES
- Regulations of Scholarships and Benefits of Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences (hereinafter referred to as Regulations) regulates the of scholarship fund composition, the size of scholarships, grants, and benefits as well as payment conditions and procedures at Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences (hereinafter referred to as VK).
- The incentive scholarships can be appointed to students that have no academic debts and are studying in state-funded places (hereinafter referred to as state-funded students) as well as by taking into account their study results. If students have been admitted to the first year of studies in 2017 or later, the incentive scholarships can be appointed to the best students, taking no account of their financing nature.
- Students, studying in full-time studies, taking no account of their financing nature, can be provided with other types of support from the scholarship fund: grants and one‑off social benefits.
- Students, studying in state-funded places, under the programmes of the study field of pedagogy, can receive earmarked scholarships from the state budget of the Republic of Lithuania (hereinafter referred to as the state budget).
- Students can be appointed social scholarships from the state budget according to the procedures established by the Government.
- Students can be appointed the nominal, bank, and other scholarships and benefits.
- Definitions used in these Regulations are in line with the concepts used in the amended Law on Higher Education and Research of the Republic of Lithuania, VK Statute, and other legislations.
COMPOSITION AND DISTRIBUTION OF THE SCHOLARSHIP FUND
- VK has the disposition of the scholarship fund that is constituted of:
- finances appointed for the payment of scholarships that are included in the standard tuition fee or budget funds for covering the state-funded place that constitutes 3.1 of Basic Social Benefit (hereinafter referred to as BSB) for one student;
- tuition fee funds of students studying in non-state-funded places.
- The entire scholarship fund is distributed in this manner:
- scholarship funds of Faculties are established in accordance with the fund composition described in Section 8; not more than 30 per cent of the Faculty’s scholarship fund is appointed to grants and one-off social benefits.
- the VK scholarship fund is formed from the 2 per cent of the entire scholarship fund; it is used for appointing grants and one-off social benefits.
- Finances saved in the scholarship funds are transferred to other articles of expense estimates and used for the means of students by the order of the Deans approved by the Students’ Representations.
TYPES AND SIZES OF INCENTIVE SCHOLARSHIPS
- According to their study results, students, conforming to the conditions established in Section 2, can be appointed the incentive scholarships of the following sizes:
- basic – 1 BSB;
- increased – 3 BSB.
- Sizes of incentive scholarships can change if new resolutions are made by the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania, Government or VK Academic Council or if the legislation in force is amended.
AWARDING INCENTIVE SCHOLARSHIPS
- Incentive scholarships (hereinafter referred to as scholarships) are appointed for a semester in accordance with the students’ results of the previous semester.
- Scholarships are appointed from the scholarship funds of the Faculties by the orders of Deans.
- Orders of Deans to award scholarships are submitted to the VK Finance and Accounting Department from the beginning of the current month till the 20th day of the month.
- Size of the scholarships depends on the weighted average of the student’s session results that is calculated according to the following formula:
, in which:
V1, V2…Vn – assessment (mark) of the course unit (module) study results;
k1, k2…kn – number of credits of the course unit (module);
ks – number of semester credits.
- The Faculty, in accordance with the provided state budget appropriations, distribute incentive scholarships in this manner:
- firstly, according to the summary of semester study results of the same course students, the increased scholarships are distributed;
- from the remaining finances, the basic scholarships are distributed based on the summary of students’ semester study results of the same course and study field, in a proportionate manner to the number of students in study fields and courses at the beginning of the semester.
- The increased scholarships are awarded to students that have gotten only very good (mark “nine”) and excellent (mark “ten”) final assessments (FA) of the course units (modules) and the weighted average of their study results is not lower than 9.5. The Faculty, taking into consideration the provided state budget appropriations, can establish an even higher weighted average.
- The basic scholarship is awarded to students, whose last session results’ weighted average is not lower than that coordinated with the Students’ Representation of the Faculty and the marginal weighted average for awarding the basic scholarship established by the order of the Dean.
- If two or more students that are claiming to get the incentive scholarship according to the conditions established in Sections 18 and 19 have the same weighted averages of their semester study results, scholarships are awarded based on the previous semester results of these students (after the first semester – by taking into account the competitive score).
- Students that had their exam session prolonged due to justified reasons, the scholarship is appointed only after the prolonged session when the weighted average of study results is calculated.
- During the first study semester, summer holidays, and academic leave, incentive scholarships are not paid.
- Students that have returned to studies after their academic leave, can be awarded the scholarship one year from the start of the academic leave based on the results of the last session.
- Students that participate in partial studies in accordance with the European Union exchange programmes, get their scholarship during the whole period of studying abroad.
PROCEDURES OF INCENTIVE SCHOLARSHIP PAYMENT SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION
- The payment of incentive scholarships can be terminated or suspended by the order of the Dean of the Faculty or the VK Rector due to the student’s failure to comply with his/her obligations.
- Students’ Representation also has the right to terminate or to suspend the payment of the incentive scholarship.
- If the student is removed from the lists of students at his/her own request or as a student that has completed the study programme until the 15th day of the current month, the scholarship is not paid to him (her) for this month; if it is done after the 15th day of the current month, the scholarship is paid for the current month.
- If the student is being expelled from VK, the scholarship is not paid during the current month.
- Earmarked scholarships are awarded to students, studying in state‑funded places under pedagogical field professional study programmes each month. The size of the earmarked scholarship is established by the Government.
- Earmarked scholarships are appointed to students that have no academic debts and by taking into account their study results (during the first study semester by taking into account their admission results). During summers and academic leave, the earmarked scholarships are not paid.
- Earmarked scholarships are appointed for not more than half of the students of the Faculty studying in the study field of pedagogy. The number of earmarked scholarships is determined by not exceeding the state budget appropriations provided for this aim.
- According to the procedures established in these Regulations, a student that is awarded the earmarked scholarship can also be awarded the incentive scholarship.
- The payment of the earmarked scholarship can be terminated or suspended according to the procedures established in Chapter 5.
- Grants can be appointed once in a semester to students studying in full-time studies, not taking into account the nature of the financing of their studies. The total size of grants cannot exceed 5 BSB.
- Grants are awarded by the order of the Dean of the Faculty for the activities described below:
- for active implementation of the goals and plans of the Students’ Representation of the Faculty – by the provision of presidents of Students’ Representations of Faculties and the Heads of Study Departments;
- for prize-winners of Olympiads, contests, and sports competitions – by the provision of the Heads and coaches of the teams, Heads of Study Departments;
- for event organisers and participants, artistic activities – by the provisions of Students’ Representations, Heads of Departments, the staff of the administration of the Faculty;
- for well-working representatives of study groups and students that can be distinguished by specific activities – by the provision of the Heads of the Departments and Study Departments, Students’ Representations.
- The size of the grant at each specific case is determined by the order of the Dean of the Faculty.
- The president of the VK Students’ Representation for active implementation of goals and plans of the VK Students’ Representation and the members of the Academic Council, delegated by the Students’ Representation, can be awarded a grant from the VK scholarship fund by the order of the Rector.
- Grants for merits to VK can be appointed from the VK scholarship fund by the order of the Rector after the provision by Deans of Faculties, Heads of artistic collectives, Head of the Physical Education and Sports Centre, the president of the Students’ Representation.
- Students that have had disciplinary penalties during the last twelve months, cannot be awarded grants.
ONE-OFF SOCIAL BENEFITS
- Students studying in full-time studies, notwithstanding the nature of their financing, can be appointed a one-off social benefit from the scholarship fund.
- By the order of the Dean of the Faculty, based on the applications of the students (form VK-01S) and provided documents, the following one-off social benefits can be appointed:
- not often than once per semester – due to difficult material situation (except for students that receive a social scholarship); also, to repair material damages caused by a long-term illness (trauma), theft or natural disaster: up to 2 BSB in size;
- in the case of the death of family members (parents, children): up to 3 BSB in size.
NOMINAL SCHOLARSHIPS OF THE PRESIDENTS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA
- Nominal scholarships of the presidents of the Republic of Lithuania: Antanas Smetona, Aleksandras Stulginskis, Kazys Grinius, Jonas Žemaitis, and Algirdas Brazauskas (hereinafter referred to as the Presidents’ scholarships) are awarded to talented students that can be distinguished by great achievements in studies, scientific and (or) artistic activities. Each year Presidents’ scholarships are appointed by the Minister of Education and Science for one study year.
- Each year until May 1, according to the established procedures, VK provides suggestions of candidates for the Presidents’ scholarships for the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences. Not more than 4 candidates can be suggested for each study field group.
- In accordance with the suggestion from the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences, the Minister of Education and Science awards the Presidents’ scholarships to the selected candidates.
- Presidents’ scholarships are paid from the beginning of the study year from the state budget appropriations. The size of these scholarships is 5 BSB per month.
- A student that is awarded the President scholarship can additionally be appointed the scholarships and benefits according to the Regulations in question.
- The Minister of Education and Science terminates the payment of the President scholarship if:
- the student has academic debts;
- the student has received an academic penalty;
- the student terminates his/her studies or is expelled from VK;
- circumstances arise or are uncovered due to which the student should not have been awarded the President scholarship.
SCHOLARSHIPS OF THE SIGNATORIES OF THE ACT OF INDEPENDENCE OF LITHUANIA OF 16 FEBRUARY 1918
- Scholarships of the signatories of the Act of Independence of Lithuania of 16 February 1918 (hereinafter referred to as Signatories’ scholarships) are awarded to the persons having the highest competitive scores in accordance with the competitive line of persons obtaining the state-funded places in the first cycle and full-time studies. They are yearly awarded by the Minister of Education and Science.
- Till August 31, the candidates for the Signatories’ scholarships are selected by the institution authorised by the Minister of Education and Science to organise and perform the general admission to the higher education schools.
- Students are awarded Signatories’ scholarships of the size of 5 BSB a month.
- Signatories’ scholarships are awarded to students and paid from the start of the first course until the end of his/her studies.
- A student that is awarded the Signatories’ scholarship additionally can be awarded other scholarships and benefits in accordance with the regulations in question.
- The Minister of Education and Science terminates the payment of the Signatories’ scholarship if after the period of one year the student:
- cannot be viewed as a student that has reached an excellent study outcomes level during the assessment period according to the Law on Higher Education and Research of the Republic of Lithuania;
- has not fulfilled all requirements imposed on the study programme during the assessed period, has academic debts, terminates his/her studies or is expelled from VK in the cases indicated in Section 38 of Study Procedures.
- Nominal scholarships mean scholarships that are awarded according to the procedures established by their founders and sponsors for the winners of contests, projects, and scientific works in order to encourage them to study and actively participate in scientific and public activities.
- Sizes, awarding conditions, and procedures of nominal scholarships are determined by the awarding contracts of these scholarships.
- The president of Students’ Representation can be awarded the monthly scholarship of the size of 3 BSB.
- A student that receives scholarships indicated in Sections 54 and 56 of these Regulations, has the right to get other scholarships, grants, benefits in accordance with these Regulations if awarding contracts of nominal and bank scholarships do not state otherwise.
- Social scholarships can be awarded to VK students that comply with the criteria determined by the Government. The State Studies Foundation appoint and administer social scholarships.
- A student that is awarded the social scholarship has the right to get other scholarships, grants, and benefits in accordance with these Regulations.
- Study scholarship is the state support for students that obtain the non-state-funded places with the highest scores.
- Students have the right to get the study scholarship if they are admitted to first cycle (professional bachelor) study programmes and have assembled the highest competitive scores in comparison to the competitive line of students admitted to the state-funded places of the first cycle and full-time studies.
- Study scholarship cannot be awarded to persons:
- that have been admitted to state-funded places;
- that have no right to take the state-funded places or receive tuition fee compensations in accordance with Article 72(1) of the Law on Higher Education and Research of the Republic of Lithuania.
- The payment of study scholarships is terminated:
- if, after the end of the study year, the average of the student’s study results is lower than the average of his/her course study results;
- when the student terminates his/her studies or is expelled from VK;
- when circumstances appear or are uncovered that the student had no right to receive the study scholarship;
- when, according to the procedures established by VK, he/she gets the state‑funded place.
- The payment of the study scholarship is suspended when the student takes the academic leave. When the student returns from the academic leave, the payment of the study scholarship is renewed.
- The State Studies Foundation administers the study scholarships.
ENTERING INTO FORCE OF THE REGULATIONS
- The Regulations are announced by the order of the Rector and enter into force from 1 February 2019.