THE DESCRIPTION OF THE PROCEDURE OF DETERMINATION AND PAYMENT OF STUDENT TUITION FEES
- GENERAL PROVISION
- The Description of the Procedure for Determination and Payment of Student Tuition Fees (hereinafter – the Description) defines the procedures and conditions for tuition fees corresponding to the cost of tuition, fees for the repeatedly provided study services and fees not directly related to the implementation of the study programme.
- There are three types of student tuition fees:
2.1. cost of tuition;
2.2. fee for the repeatedly provided study services;
2.3. fee for additional services.
- The cost of the tuition and the fee for repeatedly provided study services are determined by the Council of Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences (hereinafter – VK) in accordance with the VK Rector and are announced by the VK Rector. The fees not directly related to the implementation of the study programme is determined by the VK Rector.
- VK students who are studying in state-funded study places and without academic debts do not have to pay any fees directly related to the implementation of the study programme.
- All terms used in the Description are in accordance with the Law on Higher Education and Research of the Republic of Lithuania.
II. COST OF TUITION
- The full cost of tuition in VK is paid by:
6.1. students repeatedly enrolled in a study programme of the same or lower study cycle, if more than half of study credits of their study programme had been covered from the state budget, except in cases determined by the Government;
6.2. students studying at the same time in two or more study programmes of the same study cycle or non-degree study programmes, if the cost of tuition is covered from the state budget for at least one of them (the students have to pay the tuition fee for the second and subsequent study programmes);
6.3. foreigners, except children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Lithuania emigrants and persons of Lithuanian descent, as well as citizens of the EU Member States and other states of the European Economic Area, unless determined otherwise by international agreements or other legal acts of the Republic of Lithuania;
6.4. students admitted to places not funded by the state;
6.5. renewing and/ or continuing studies in accordance with the procedure established by VK.
7. The tuition cost is specified in by the Rules of Students Admission to Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences and in the study agreements. Study agreements also distinguish the conditions for the changes in the amount of the cost of the tuition under the payment procedure. The changes in the cost of the tuition and payment procedure are determined by the VK Rector or Dean:
7.1. the VK Rector may exempt the student from the payment of tuition fees, reduce the cost of the tuition under the proposal submitted by the Dean of the Faculty, the President of the Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences Student Representation, the Head of the Physical Education and Sports Centre, but not earlier than from the second semester of the studies.
7.2. the Dean of the Faculty, upon the motivated request of the student, submitted no later than 14 days after the beginning of the semester, might change or extend the terms of the payment of the tuition fee. However, the cost of the tuition shall be paid within the following deadlines:
7.2.1. the first instalment shall be paid until 31 October/ 31 March, not less than 20% of the total semester tuition cost;
7.2.2. the second instalment shall be paid until 30 November/ 30 April, not less than 30% of the total semester tuition cost;
7.2.3. the third instalment shall be paid until 20 December/ 20 May – the remaining part of the tuition cost.
7.3. based on a request from a student planning to receive a state-supported study loan to pay the tuition fee, the Dean of the Faculty might postpone the payment of the tuition fee until the loan is received or the application is denied within the terms established by the State Studies Foundation.
- The tuition fee for the current semester shall be reduced by order of the Dean if the credits and study results of the subjects studied in the higher education institutions are included as part of the study programme in accordance with the procedure established by VK.
- Students studying under the Erasmus + programme shall be exempted from the payment of the tuition fee for the semester abroad by the order of the Rector upon the decision of the International Relations Office. For students entering the Erasmus+ programme for internships, the tuition fee for that semester is reduced proportionally for the time spent in internships.
- If the studies are terminated in accordance with sub-paragraphs 31.1, 31.2 of the Study Procedures at Vilniaus Kolegija/ University of Applied Sciences (hereinafter – the Procedure) or the student is expelled from VK in accordance with subparagraph 38.4 of the Procedure, the corresponding part of the tuition fee paid for the current semester is reimbursed:
10.1. 80 percent of the paid semester tuition fee is reimbursed, and 4 percent of the amount is deducted for the provided services, if the termination of studies or expulsion happen until 31 October in the fall semester or until 31 March in the spring semester;
10.2. 50 percent of the paid semester tuition fee is reimbursed, and 4 percent of the amount is deducted for the provided services, if the termination of studies or expulsion happens on 1–30 November in the fall semester or on 1–30 April in the spring semester. If the studies are terminated or the student is expelled after the deadlines specified in this subparagraph, the money paid for the studies is not refunded.
- If the student has not paid the tuition fee for the current semester by the date specified in the Study Agreement and fails to do so after the reminder received from the Faculty by e-mail, he/ she shall be expelled from VK in accordance with subparagraph 38.2 of the Procedure. If the student fails to pay the tuition fee or part of it to VK within the specified period of time, the further debt, which consists of the 20 percent of the semester cost, is forwarded to the company of debt recovery.
11.1. If a student has not paid the tuition fee for the current semester by the date specified in the Study Agreement and intends to terminate his or her studies by 30 September/ 28 February, he/ she shall pay 20 percent of the semester tuition cost to VK account within 10 days from the date of the order of the Rector.
11.2. If a student whose payment of the tuition fee has been postponed in accordance with paragraph 7.2 of this Description has not paid the tuition fee for the current semester and terminates the studies:
11.2.1. by 31 October/ 31 March, shall pay 20 percent of the semester tuition cost;
11.2.2. by 30 November/ 30 April, shall pay 50 percent of the semester tuition cost;
11.2.3. by 20 December/ 20 May, shall pay the full semester cost.
- In the case of an academic leave:
12.1. a student who has paid the tuition fee for the current semester shall recover the part of the cost of semester tuition for the unfinished period of semester studies counting in months within 10 days from the date of the Order of the Dean, deducting 4 percent of the recovered amount for the provided services;
12.2. a student who has not paid the tuition fee for the current semester shall pay the semester tuition fee for the completed period of semester studies counting in months within 10 days from the date of the Order of the Dean;
12.3. upon the return after the academic leave, a student shall pay the part of the cost of semester tuition for the unfinished period of semester studies before the academic leave counting in months.
- If the student’s semester cost of tuition has been reduced, including the previously acquired study results, in the case provided in subparagraph 12.2 of this Description, the student shall pay to VK account the cost of tuition indicated in these subparagraphs.
- Students admitted to the state-funded study places at VK or another Lithuanian University of Applied Sciences and who are changing a study programme of the same study field shall pay part of the cost of tuition if the cost of the chosen study programme is higher than the cost of the current study programme. In this case, the cost of standard tuition of the current study programme is paid from the state budget funds, and the difference is paid by the student who changes the study programme.
- Students receiving a study grant:
15.1. have to pay the difference between the cost of tuition and the cost of standard tuition until 30 September/ 28 February to VK account if the study grant for the student is transferred to VK account. In this case, the financial obligations related to the payment of the cost of tuition in the event of the termination or academic leave of the student apply only to the difference between the cost of tuition and the cost of standard tuition.
15.2. if the study grant is transferred to a personal bank account, the student shall pay the semester coat of tuition until 30 September/ 28 February. In this case, the provisions of this Description apply in the event of study termination or academic leave of the student.
- Students admitted studying in places not funded by the state and who have completed one year of studies with the best study results and achieved an excellent or typical level of results are entitled to the full or partial reimbursement of the cost of tuition.
- Persons enrolled in the first-cycle, the second-cycle or integrated study programmes for the first time or who have completed their studies, compulsory military service or basic military training after 1 September 2011, are entitled to tuition fee reimbursement for the studied period or part of it in the place not funded by the state if they meet the criteria established by the Government and VK.
III. COST OF TUITION OF A COURSE UNIT (MODULE)
- The fee for the course unit (module) credits in VK, according to the volume of the course unit (module), is paid by:
18.1. students for the credits accumulated from the differences of study programmes (continuing studies, changing the study programme, course, form, after the academic leave by a student’s request);
18.2. unclassified students who have chosen to study one or several college course units (modules);
18.3. students who intend to study one or more course units (modules) of another college study programme at the same time.
- The cost of one study credit is calculated by dividing the cost of annual tuition by the number of credits per year and having rounded up to the nearest higher integer number. The cost of tuition for one course unit (module) is calculated by multiplying the cost per credit to the number of credits of one course unit (module).
- In the cases described in paragraph 18, students and unclassified students shall pay for the corresponding number of credits of the course units (modules).
- The cost of one study credit according to the study programme is approved by the order of the VK Rector every year.
IV. FEES FOR THE REPEATEDLY PROVIDED STUDY SERVICES
- Students shall pay for the following repeatedly provided study services:
22.1. for the retake of each academic debt;
22.2. for the retake of the course unit (module) examination or repeatedly defending an independent work (project) in order to improve the study results of the course unit (module) in accordance with the procedure established by VK; the amount of this fee corresponds to the amount of the fee indicated in subparagraph 22.1.
V. FEES FOR ADDITIONAL SERVICES
- Students or graduates shall pay for the following additional services, which are not directly related to the implementation of the study programme:
23.1. For document duplicates:
23.1.1 the duplicates of the Diploma, the Diploma Supplement and the Appendix to the Bachelor’s diploma;
23.1.2. the duplicate of the Study Certificate;
23.1.3. the duplicate of the dormitory permit.
23.2. For other services:
23.2.1. the inclusion of the study results achieved in terms of non-coordinated study content;
23.2.2. the description of the course unit (module) for the purpose of the inclusion of study results at another higher education institution;
23.2.3. the usage of VK attributes for the diploma award ceremony;
23.2.4. the issuing of the Study Certificate in English;
23.2.5. the issuing of the Study Certificate according to the additional data from the archive confirming the authenticity of the diploma (for students who have already received their diploma);
23.2.6. the preparation of a different certificate (except the certificate confirming the student’s status and the certificate on receiving a scholarship);
23.2.7. for copying and printing documents.
VI. PAYMENT OF FEES
- The payments are made to VK bank accounts of the following banks: DNB, SEB, and Swedbank. Payment templates can be found and completed at https://www.viko.lt/studentams/finansine-informacija/studiju-imokos/studiju-imoku-mokejimo-kvitai/ . The filled document must include the following details: payee, payee’s bank, bank identifier code, payee’s bank account number, reference number, student’s name and personal identification number. Payments up to € 1.45 might be made to VK unit by addressing the accountable person. A receipt (or a copy) shall be submitted to the Study Department of the Faculty.
- Additional services not directly related to the implementation of the study programme and repeated study services shall be provided when the student presents the receipt confirming that the fee has been paid within the set term to the administering faculty employee.
VII. ENTRY INTO FORCE
- The Description enters into force on 1 September 2016.